Centrally located on a 17 acre tract of land, the
facilities were completed in 1955 and served as Laurens High School
Laurens Junior High School was founded in 1970,
and served grades 8 and 9. It was originally located on Green Street in
the Sanders High School Building, now known as Sanders Middle School.
When the high school students moved into their new facility in the fall
of 1972, 7th and 8th grade junior high students moved into the present
facility which was renamed Laurens Junior High School.
Big changes began in 2001, a 6th grade program
was started and the school was renamed Laurens Middle School. In the
fall of 2002 the district's Montessori program expanded to the middle
school level and became part of the Laurens Middle School community.
Over the next two years the Montessori program continued to grow and
now serves students in the 6th through 8th grade.
As Laurens Middle School looks to the future we
honor the past. In 2004 the school's colors where changed back to the
original colors of blue and gold. The Academic Excellence in Athletics
award has been named in honor of King Dixon, a 1955 graduate of the
school. During the 2007 awards day ceremony, Bill Ramey, a past
principal and educator was honored. The Principal"s Award given to the
student with the highest GPA will now be known as the Bill Ramey Award.
To reach the stated mission of developing a
community of productive, independent learners for a changing world, LMS
has instituted many educational innovations. Some of the offerings are:
single gender classroom environments, an effective comprehensive
literacy program, two state-of-the-art computer labs, and a virtual
school program for advanced math students.
As in the past, academic, athletic, fine arts and
other extra-curricular groups continue to bring favorable recognition
to the school and community.